Monday, March 10, 2008

Where has our history gone?

Outside of Great Names In Greyhound Pedigrees, Volumes I and II, we in the racing community have done a poor job of documenting the great history of Greyhound stakes races. Newer fans of racing and recent members of the National Greyhound Association do not have stacks of back issues of Greyhound Review to consult, and even many long-time members discard old issues.

To that end I've started a new project to add the pedigrees of every stake winner in U.S. racing history to the Greyhound-data site. I have a number of sources, primarily the American Greyhound Racing Encyclopedia (1963), as well as lists such as the one in the February 1997 issue of Greyhound Review (pp. 73-86).
I'm missing a number of Stud Books from the racing era, particularly, 1946, 1937, 1935, and 1929-1932. Other than those, I have all the rest from 1933 to present.

Any help you could provide would be greatly appreciated. Anyone who owns those volumes, especially Volume 39 (1946), I'd like to hear from you.

jcsperson@yahoo.com

No comments: